From: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, June 5, 2020 9:56 AM
To: Reid, Wendy <wendy.reid@rakuten.com>; public-idcg@w3.org
Cc: Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org>
Subject: Re: W3C action/response to the BLM Movement

Wendy,

Going back to your original posting with regard to W3C action/response, I hope that we also look at this from a perspective not only of what we say but what we do.

W3C has made some progress over the years on some aspects of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI), including gender and disability, by approaching this from multiple directions: hiring, outreach, choices of topics and presenters, work areas, etc. While within an international and primarily membership organization, racial and cultural diversity issues may be more complex to take up directly at the umbrella level of the organization, I think that nevertheless it is important to do so and that there are multiple ways to approach this.

I look forward to discussing aspects of what we do in W3C towards DEI goals, as well as what we say, and welcome discussion on that in IDCG and elsewhere in W3C if others are similarly interested.

-  Judy