From: Léonie Watson <lwatson@tetralogical.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 4:23 AM
To: Inclusion and Diversity Community Group <public-idcg@w3.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Fwd: Re: Neutral language in W3C specifications

Everyone,

Would welcome guidance on this.

I suggested that the Publication (Pub) Rules might look for gender specific pronouns, and this can be done, but I'm not sure what the best editorial advice for editors should be.

The use of pronouns doesn't come up often in specifications, though it does sometimes when there are use cases or user stories that illustrate the reason for a particular feature.

The guidance could suggest using they/them as the standard pronouns, or that editors should make sure there is an even balance of they/them, he/him, she/her etc., or something else?

Léonie.
-------- Forwarded Message --------Subject: Re: Neutral language in W3C specifications
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 15:03:01 +0400From: Denis Ah-Kang
<denis@w3.org>To: lwatson@tetralogical.com, Spec-prod <spec-prod@w3.org>, chairs@w3.orgHi Leonie, Thank you for your feedback. Sure, we can also add these pronouns to the list of terms to detect.
Do you have a preference or suggestion as to what our guidance to the editors should be in those cases?

Denis