Re: Request for consensus to add text in the BLM statement

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 10:40 AM Léonie Watson <lwatson@tetralogical.com>
wrote:

> I have a concern with Marisa's proposed change. If we specifically say
> we do not support violence against marginalised people it implies that
> we do support it against non-marginalised people

Not really. It means that we recognize that marginalized communities are
the target of much more violence, proportionally, than
non-marginalized ones.

Saying Black Lives Matter isn't saying that other lives don't matter. It's
saying that we need to do something about the fact that society, as a
whole, acts as if Black lives mattered less than other ones.

So, much like saying "all lives matter" in this context is essentially
negating systemic racism, saying that we condemn violence against everyone
either is a complete platitude, specifically implying that
marginalized communities aren't subject to more violence than
non-marginalized ones, or even worse, is a dog whistle[1] suggesting the
protests are causing violence.

Given the context of the formal objection was specifically to ask us to
condemn violence related to the protests, I'm very concerned about
releasing a statement that could be equivocal.

Have we considered getting this statement reviewed by someone external who
understands the dynamics at play here?

--tobie
---
[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog-whistle_(politics)