Re: Inclusion office hours?

> On Jul 26, 2019, at 18:22, Léonie Watson <lw@tetralogical.com> wrote:
>
> On the basis there is some interest in this idea, I've been thinking about the logistics.
>
> It has to be easy for people to manage their availability, and the amount of time they're able to make available. It also has to be easy for people to agree a time to speak.
>
> It seems likely that each volunteer will have their preferred way to manage their time, and for arranging times to talk with people, so a simple approach might be our best bet?
>

> One possibility is a page that we point people to, where the names and preferred contact methods of each volunteer are shown.
>
> I use a service called Calendly (calendly.com) to manage the open office hours I already hold. It plugs into my calendar service (Google), and lets me create meeting types (30 minutes twice a week for example).
>
> I then share the URL for the meeting type, and people can choose from the available 30 minute slots. When the limit of two a week is reached, the rest of my time is automatically marked as unavailable.
>
> Calendly bases my availability on my Google calendar, so it's essential that stays up to date. When a meeting is requested, it automatically adds it to my Google calendar, and sends me an email to let me know.
>

> So my information on the page I'm suggesting might be something like this:
>
> Léonie Watson: use [calendly] to find a time to talk about W3C.
>
> Someone else might prefer to use another meeting management service, or to arrange metings by email, and would then share their email address or other preferred point of initial contact.
>
> We could also include a bit of information about where each volunteer is involved at W3C perhaps?

I suggest also including information about which languages the volunteer is comfortable communicating in.

Giving some details about who you are may help make you seem more approachable / relatable, but the point isn't to expose your privacy either, and a contact directory becomes a lot less readable if it includes everyone's autobiography. Not exactly sure where the right balance is.

—Florian