Dotted u and ü

From: Andrew West <andrewcwest@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 10:25:59 +0000
To: public-i18n-mongolian@w3.org
Dear experts,

A friend of mine at the Institute of Oriental Manuscripts in St Petersburg
is working on a catalogue of materials brought back from Beijing in 1926 by
B. Ya. Vladimirtsov.  He is having difficulty representing some of the
Mongolian text in Unicode, in particular most books published by the
publishing house 蒙文書社 (mongγol bičig-ün qoriy-a) use a dotted form of the
letters u and ü when acting as a genitive particle.  This dotted u/ü can
also be found in some earlier printed books as well.  I attach a table from
his catalogue showing the word man-u ᠮᠠᠨ ᠤ and egünü ᠡᠭᠦᠨᠦ with dotted u
and ü, and some more exampes from 蒙漢合璧無方元音 published in 1917.

​

​

Is anyone familiar with this usage?  How can the dotted u and ü be
represented in Unicode?  My apologies if this has already been discussed on
this list, but with so many emails I may have missed the relevant posts.

Best Regards,

Andrew

table.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: table.jpg)