RE: OT: Guessing the Spelling

Richard,

> Sometimes one can work out which sound has been dropped.  Greg seemed to
imply that if one knew the Cyrillic spelling
> (or, almost equivalently, pronunciation)and what the traditional Mongolian
> looked like,
> one should be able to work out how to spell the traditional Mongolian.
Yes. They can. Because they have different alphabet in Cyrillic, they are
accustomed to the spelling.
Maybe it is easy distinguish which is O, OE, which is U, UE.
But they have some other kind of difficulties appears when the Cyrillic
Mongolian is direct record of the speaking language, the traditional
Mongolian have different writings with their speaking language. There are a
lot of phonetic drops and changes in Mongolian speaking language.

> Perhaps it is anyway - the original attempt to achieve mass literacy in
the Mongolian script was a failure, and Phags-pa and the todo variant are
evidence of the inadequacy of the classical system.
No. it is absolutely unacceptable.

> This post *is* diverging from the primary purpose of the list, which is
why I put 'OT' for 'off-topic' in the subject field of the post.
I got it.

Regards,

Jirimutu
Almas Inc.
101-0021 601 Nitto-Bldg, 6-15-11, Soto-Kanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
E-Mail: jrmt@almas.co.jp   Mobile : 090-6174-6115
Phone : 03-5688-2081,   Fax : 03-5688-2082
http://www.almas.co.jp/   http://www.compiere-japan.com/