Re: FVS Assignment for A - Word-final A

On Fri, 7 Aug 2015 13:32:25 +0000
Greg Eck <greck@postone.net> wrote:

> Item#1 - new glyph needed
>

> It appears to me that this is a stylistic type of thing not demanding
> a new glyph nor FVS assignment. What you want it would seem is a
> means to talk about the orkhitz A/E while it is connected to a
> root/stem.

What is 'orkhitz A/E'?  Is it the disconnected glyph or is it A/E with
a flourish to the left?

> Some styles will handle this fine without the MVS such as
> the image I sent earlier from Baiti. The font Jirimutu used designed
> the orkhitz with space at the top evidently. Other fonts such as
> Baiti expect the MVS to provide the space. Beyond that, and I am not
> being critical, this font has an attractive appearance I think, the
> orkhitz glyph is not designed to join the stem - there is nothing
> wrong with that - it is merely a design decision.

> You could say that
> the solution is just to add the new glyph to the font repertoire and
> substitute it for the default in the absence of an MVS. That would
> probably work, but you would not meet the Quejingzhabu mandate #1
> which says that all glyphs must be under control - you must be able
> to print/control in a standalone environment.

What precisely is this mandate #1?  In the Quejingzhabu scheme this
glyph is part of certain ligatures related to <BA, A> and <QA, E>.  Now,
unless one is required to use exactly the same glyph set or support a
particular usage of the PUA, a font using the character for these
syllables could be compliant with the tables once the sequences of
Unicode characters were converted to Unicode.

Richard.