Re: Searching

On Fri, 07 Aug 2015 00:54:10 +0200
"Badral S." <badral@bolorsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi Richard,
> I don't understand what is the folding. Is it recommendation for
> Unicode standard? or relevant to W3?
> What exactly is it?

Folding is treating characters or character sequences as being the
same.  For example, when searching English text for a word, it is
usual to ignore the difference between capital and small letters.

Unicode does not define a folding for Mongolian, but it may be useful
to use the Unicode Consortium to make available a description of a
folding algorithm.  In the case of Mongolian, people have difficulty in
choosing correctly between two different letters.  Therefore a search
might ignore the difference so as to find a word even though it has
been miscoded.

It may be relevant to W3 as a recommendation for searching.  For
example, I can imagine use the folding for searching for Mongolian
words when the user specifies a case-insensitive search.

Richard.