Re: NNBSP Impact

From: Andrew West <andrewcwest@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 12:13:08 +0100
To: "Badral S." <badral@bolorsoft.com>
Cc: public-i18n-mongolian@w3.org
Hi Badral,

> Any incorrect classified breaker characters (for us NNBSP, MVS- between
> unicode 5.0 and 6.3) corrupt GSUB rules of OTF for Mongolian.

I'm afraid that I don't see how the classification of NNBSP or MVS can
break the GSUB rules.  Maybe it has an effect on whether the rendering
system (e.g. Uniscribe) applies the GSUB rules around the character,
but should not affect the GSUB rules themselves.  And if the rendering
system is not applying OpenType shaping rules for Mongolian around
NNBSP or MVS then that is a bug in the implementation.

> The suffixes
> have to be started by "medial" variant after NNBSP. This rule is already
> implemented in every Mongolian Fonts. But every suffix starts with "initial"
> variant, if NNBSP belongs to spaces or word boundary class ... The problem exists on
> Openoffice, Libreoffice, Google Chrome, Safari and Opera as my test.

That would be a bug in the implementation of these products.  Of the
above software I only have Google Chrome installed, and that renders
NNBSP + suffix correctly, e.g. on this page
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subei_Mongol_Autonomous_County>
NNBSP+yin is rendered with the medial form as expected.

Andrew