Re: jlreq-d: proposed TOC

This is just a suggestion, not a request, but i've been working on a set
of headings for describing orthographies for some time, and refining it,
and what follows is the result that i use as a standard approach for
writing systems around the world (which is one of its advantages).  You
may not think it fits your needs, or may only think parts of it are
useful, but i thought i should at least share it with you in case it is
of some help.

The following list is just the latter part of my contents list – the
part that deals with layout-type issues. (The earlier half deals with
structure and phonetics, and characters that convey those phonetic
sounds to the reader.)

Text direction

Glyph shaping & positioning
Font styles
     Context-based shaping & positioning
     Font styling & weight
     Transforming characters

Graphemes
     Grapheme clusters
     Larger typographic units

Punctuation & inline features
     Word boundaries
Phrase & section boundaries
Bracketed text
     Quotations & citations
     Emphasis
     Abbreviation, ellipsis & repetition
     Inline notes & annotations
     Other punctuation
Other inline text decoration

Line & paragraph layout
     Line breaking & hyphenation
     Text alignment & justification
     Text spacing
     Baselines, line height, etc.
     Counters, lists, etc.
Styling initials

Page & book layout
     General page layout & progression
     Page numbering, running headers, etc

If you mouse over these headings in a real document (such as the one for
Japanese at https://r12a.github.io/scripts/jpan/index.html), you'll see
descriptions of what i expect each section should contain.  You'll also
see some lower level headings (eg. for the Inline notes & annotations
section at https://r12a.github.io/scripts/jpan/index.html#inlinenotes).

One thing i try to do is describe features by 'semantic' value.  For
example, underlining in the Chinese document appears under "Quotations &
citations" and under "Emphasis", since that is what the purpose of the
underlining is.  I don't just put it into a "Text decoration" section.
What someone is trying to do is more important than how they do it.

Anyway, as i said, just some ideas.

hth
ri