RE: Accepting changes to BP doc - BP 18

Hi Richard,

Thanks for all of the edits.

Here are a couple of observations/remarks related to BP 18. Despite of them, I
would be alright with the edits you have done.

Cheers,
Christian
==

Quote > Specify any content where the choice to translate or not is different
from the default for your schema.

I wonder whether 'the directive' would be more appropriate than 'the choice'.

Quote > Your schema should provide its:translate (or an equivalent mechanism).

I suggest to append 'to manage translatability' to this sentence. This would
be inline e.g. with the preceding BP.

Quote > Your schema developers should also have documented expectations

I wonder whether 'baseline rules' would be more appropriate than
'expectations'. Furthermore, I also tend to switch to 'schema developers or
localization engineers' since both of them may provide the 'baseline rules'
which pertain to a certain document collection based on a certain schema.

Quote >Your schema developers should also have documented expectations with
regard to what should be translated and what not for your document type where
this differs from the default assumptions that element content should be
translated and attribute content should not.

I suggest to replace this lengthy sentence by something like 'The ITS default
is: Element content should be translated and attribute content should not.
Your schema developers or localization engineers should provide ITS rules in
case a certain schema or document collection differs from this default.

Quote >Using its:translate the author can indicate that the last paragraph
should not be translated.

I suggest to use 'last "par"' rather than 'last paragraph' since at the
beginning of the sentence also "par" is mentioned.

Quote > Editors notes in Example 22:

[1] Agree. We may want to use 'locNote' rather than an XML comment.

[2] Agree.

[3] I wonder if this would be correct, since you could argue that mainly the
"alt" attribute and not the "img" element is targetted by "xml:lang".

Quote >Authors should NOT use its:translate to tag single words or terms that
(they think)

I suggest to switch to "Authors should keep in mind that translators usually
have more expertise to answer the question whether an expression remains the
same during translation. Thus, authors should be careful not to abuse
its:translate.

Furthermore, I would be fine with dropping "Authors may decide what is
translatable, but not how to translate it.".

Quote >Although the set of ITS rules provided with the schema should specify
any exceptions to the default ITS translation rules for a given schema

I suggest to switch to "The ITS default is: Element content should be
translated and attribute content should not. Your schema developers or
localization engineers should provide ITS rules in case a certain schema or
document collection differs from this default. On occasions where the document
you are working on needs to deviate from these two sets of rules, use
its:translate.