Re: [public-i18n-its] <none>

Hello Samuel,

thank you for your reply to the list. Some comments (known to you, but
not to others yet) below.

Samuel Cruz-Lara wrote:
> Dear Felix,
>
> We have just discussed about the comment you sent to SYMM WG last week
> in Amsterdam. (LC 1827)
>
> We agree on your general proposal. So, now we should try to adapt the
> existing
> ITS markup declarations to our specific needs.

for the proposals 1) and 2), you don't need to adapt anything. You just
need to provide the <its:rules> file which I mentioned at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its/2007JulSep/0064.html .
I'm repeating the proposals for convenience here:

1) an ITS "Translate" rule [3] to separate translatable and
non-translatable content,
2) an ITS "Elements Within Text" rule [4] to describe the flow
characteristics of elements, and
3) an SMIL 3.0 schema which contains ITS 1.0 markup declarations for 1)
and 2).

> As my knowledge about ITS is not good enough, I need to work with you
> all in
> order to analyse the way that ITS may help us.
>
> Of course the general idea is that SMIL 3.0 provides a schema which
> contains
> the ITS markup declarations.

again, not necessarily: That was only part 3) or our proposal.

How does the SYMM Group think about the proposals 1) and 2)?

> However, we have to ensure that this will not
> provoke any "trouble" on the SMIL specification nor on the on the
> implementation
> side (i.e. on the SMIL players side).

Of course. Note that we do not propose a normative change to the SMIL
3.0 schema, but rather a non-normative adaptation of the schema in a
separate appendix. This is to make SMIL users aware of the functionality
provided by ITS, without breaking their implementations.

> As you have said in your email: "These markup declarations allow for
> specifying a lot of more information related to internationalization and
> localization, like localization notes or terminology information".
>
> So, I think that a good way to progress should be to work on the basis of
> several use cases allowing us to understand how ITS may help.

I tried to describe use cases for proposals 1) and 2) in my first mail,
so it would be great to get your feedback on these. About 3), and a
proposal to integrate ITS markup declarations into the SMIL 3.0 DTD, see
below.

In the SMIL 3.0 DTD (yet to be updated, I checked
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/WD-SMIL3-20070713/smil-DTD.html#smil-attribs-1
), you have the following entity:

<!ENTITY % I18n.extra.attrib "" >
<!ENTITY % I18n.attrib "
  xml:lang %LanguageCode.datatype; #IMPLIED
  %I18n.extra.attrib;"

I would propose to change I18n.extra.attrib to

[[
<!ENTITY % I18n.extra.attrib "%ITS-LOCAL-ATTR;" >
<!-- ITS-LOCAL-ATTR contains attribute declarations for
internationalization and localization related markup. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-its-20070403/ for more information. -->
]]

ITS-LOCAL-ATTR is a modification of the entity
att.local.with-ns.attributes, which is taken from the exemplary ITS DTD
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-its-20070403/its.dtd
The DTD fragment below, which I modified for SMIL 3.0 purposes, contains
in comments also explanations of the functionality of the ITS markup
markup. I would think that these explanations are enough information for
a use case description?

[[
<!-- Entity for the definition of the ITS namespace, necessary for DTD
processing -->
<!ENTITY % ITSNS 'xmlns CDATA "http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its"
xmlns:its CDATA "http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its" '>

<!-- Prefix commonly used for ITS markup -->
<!ENTITY % ITSPR 'its:' >

<!-- Entity which contains local ITS markup for internationalization and
localization purposes. Explanatations:
- its:translate : Attribute to express translation information. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-its-20070403/#trans-datacat .
- its:locNote : Attribute for localization notes. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-its-20070403/#locNote-datacat .
- its:locNoteType: Attribute for the localization note type (description
or alert). See http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-its-20070403/#locNote-datacat .
- its:term : Attribute to specify terms. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-its-20070403/#terminology .
- its:termInfoRef : Attribute to provide references to additional
information about a term. See
http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-its-20070403/#terminology .
- its:dir : Attribute to supply information about text directionality.
See http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-its-20070403/#directionality .
-->
<!ENTITY % ITS-LOCAL-ATTR '
%ITSPR;translate (yes|no) #IMPLIED
%ITSPR;locNote CDATA #IMPLIED
%ITSPR;locNoteType (alert|description) #IMPLIED
%ITSPR;locNoteRef CDATA #IMPLIED
%ITSPR;termInfoRef CDATA #IMPLIED
%ITSPR;term (yes|no) #IMPLIED
%ITSPR;dir (ltr|rtl|lro|rlo) #IMPLIED'>