Only non-namespace attributes at its:ruby and no namespace attributes at its:span? (Was: Re: Section on XHTML modularization)

Hi Jirka, all

I think you formulated two proposals here which are relevant for the
tagset draft:

- Should we have only non-namespace attributes at its:ruby?
- Should we have no namespace attributes at its:span?

Both would be fine with me, but we need to decide this rather soon. What
do others think?

I would propose that I make this change in the ODD file if nobody
disagrees until Monday evening 23:00 hour (JST).

Jirka Kosek wrote:

>>> What is the problem here? Could you explain it more or provide example.
>> I'm wondering what to do with. s.t like <html:p><its:ruby
>> html:dir="rtl"> . Is this desirable, or should it be <its:ruby
>> dir="rtl"> or <its:ruby its:dir="rtl"> ?
>
> To me it seems that <its:ruby dir="rtl"> is the most natural option.
>
> ITS markup will be primarily consumed by CAT software and such software
> doesn't have to understand to HTML markup (html:dir in this situation).
> Moreover I think that such usage of HTML attributes is not very common,
> although I recall that I have already seen some W3C proposal for this.
>
> Also <its:ruby its:dir="rtl"> is in my opinion wrong, because its:dir
> attribute should be used only on non-ITS elements where it is necessary
> to qualify the attribute.
>
> The problem is that the current schema allows ony the <its:ruby
> its:dir="rtl"> variant which is wrong IMHO. I think that on <its:ruby>
> just nonamespaced attributes should be allowed.
>
> I also checked its:span element because I thought that recent changes to
> its:span could affected its:ruby also. The its:span
> (http://www.w3.org/International/its/itstagset/itstagset.html#span) now
> allows both variants -- namespaced and non-namespaced attributes. My
> understanding of changes on which we agreed week ago is that only
> non-namespaced attributes should be allowed on its:span.

I had a different understanding, but as said above I'm fine with your
proposal as well.

Regards, Felix.