Re: Term="yes|no"

Hi Yves,

Yves Savourel wrote:
> Hi Felix,
>
> - Actually you are pointing out something I didn't touch on before because it seemed too obvious: I would add the value "no" to the
> local term attribute as well.

But you did not list the necessary place in the spec to be changed - or
did I miss s.t.?

> If we have "yes|no" available in global rules they should be available locally as well. So one could
> do somethin like this:
>
> <its:termRule selector="//kw" term="yes"/>
>

> - I'm not sure if I understand your point when some data categories do not have override.
> They seem override to have to me:
>
> for ruby, while it makes *much less* sense to use override because the nature of the information is not a flag but a specific text,
> technically you can do it too:
>
> <its:rubyRule rubyText="Click this image to see a larger version" selector="//@alt"/>
> <its:rubyRule rubyText="World Wide Web Consortium" selector="//image[@src='w3c.png']/@alt"/>
>
> And the same goes for localization information.
> No?

I'm more worried about overriding and its interplay with inheritance,
see below.

> In any case, I would think any "flag"-type data category should have a way to override.
>
> I guess to see the issue from a different viewpoint: how do we justify that term cannot have a "no" value (locally and globally)?

To me, the issue of inheritance is difference for terminology: if we say
the content of <em> does not inherit the its information its:term="yes"
from <termdef>, but it is rather a part of the ITS term. This is
different also for ruby:
<its:rubyRule rubyText="Click this image to see a larger version"
selector="//rubyBase"/>
does mean that <rubyBase> is a ruby base element. This property *does
not* inherit to the content of ruby base. In the case of localization
information, translatability and directionality, the case is different:
here we have really CSS like "inheritance".

> Currently to cancel a termRule from in an external file in a document instance you have to comment it out, which is not a good
> option since such external file may be used by different document where the same rule is needed.
> If I recall correctly the only reason we removed term="yes|no" and made limited local term to "yes" was because we thought the cases
> for "no" simply did not exist. Which is clearly not the case.

I'm still worried this is a substantive change. Of course it depends on
how we see it ...

Cheers,

Felix