Re: DocBook and ITS

Jirka Kosek wrote:

> Yes, I can understand this, but you can have one set of namespaced
> attributes for instances, and second unnamespaced set for documentRules.

yes, you could. but its nice to have a single schema fragment
used in both cases, and only one lot of XML processing code
to maintain.

alter all, writing a <documentRules> file is not a constant
daily occurrence where the slight verbosity is an irritant.

>   <documentRules xmlns:its="http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its"
>                  xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/11/its">
>       <ns its:prefix="db" its:uri="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"/>
>       <documentRule its:translate="no"
>                     its:translateSelector="//db:para/@*"/>
>       <documentRule its:translate="yes"
>                     its:translateSelector="//db:para"/>
>   </documentRules>
>
> (yes, this last example looks quite ugly)

I am not sure why, to be honest...

> I don't see problem with having two sets of attributes. Moreover their
> meaning is quite different. Namespaced attributes define ITS properties
> for the current element, and unnamespaced for elements referenced by
> documentRule.
but in practice a processing application may read the rules
file, and copy attributes to an instance tree. Its a shame if
it cannot just copy attribute nodes.

>> The RelaxNG patterns can be generated with a prefix
>> by setting the parameter "patternPrefix" to "its."
>> when the XSLT script is called.
>
> Cool! Do you think that the next version of WD can have RNG/RNC schemas
> with this change incorporated?

sure, it just means Felix has to add that parameter setting
to the shell script he runs.

--
Sebastian Rahtz

*Open Source and Sustainability*