Re: On conformance

Hi Christian, all,

Lieske, Christian wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Please find my comments below (starting with "CL>").
>
> Best regards,
> Christian

sorry, this has nothing to do with conformance, but the terminology here
would now be local (in instance documents) versus global (with
documentRules).

> For example a translation tool would implement the translatability data
> and localization information categories but completely
> ignore terminology.
>
> CL> I am not sure that all translation tools would do that.
>
>  Therefore I think we have to test the 6 data categories separately (I
> think <its:span> is something different
> and can be tested with along with all the in situ cases).
>
>>From the "rules location" viewpoint we have: in XML DTD, in XML Schema,
> in RELAX NG, external dislocated, internal dislocated, and
> in situ... 6 cases. In addition, I think it's important to also have
> test cases for each data category where all the different
> "rules locations" are combined. So 7 cases.
>
> This gives us the following matrix:
> http://www.w3.org/International/its/tests/#Summary
>
> Which is ... 42 cases overall (although there maybe a few cases less as
> not all types of rules location apply to all data
> categories).
>
> I think it's important that we provide at least one standalone test case
> for each of these combinations. It is quite a bit of work,
> but it is probably the only way to ensure ITS is sound.
>
> As far as "processors" *compliance*. I think we don't have to define a
> level for each case. Maybe we can say that an application is
> ITS compliant when it implement sucessfully at least one of the data
> categories(?) and that it should state which one(s) with any
> compliance claim.
>
> CL> I like Yves' approach of distinguishing between test cases and
> conformance/compliance. From
> CL> my point of view test cases can help with the following:
> CL>
> CL> 1. verify that the framework adequately addresses an issue
> CL> 2. possibly help with the definition of conformance
> CL> 3. testing conformance
> CL>
> CL> I think that the design of the test suite (that is the collection of
> test cases instrumented with
> CL> input, output, id etc.) which Yves has drafted is very promising.
> CL>
> CL> I am still not sure about the granularity of conformance we should
> be aiming at.

I agree that it would be possible to disconnect the discussion on tests
from conformance. But IMO it would be good to relate the one to the
other as close as possible. Yves proposal to say "s.t. is conformance if
it implements successfully at least one data category" is a very direct
relation between tests and conformance.

Possible pros and
> CL> cons for a fine grained granularity could be the following:
> CL>
> CL> pro: may yield many conformant implementations since only a limited
> number
> CL> 	of features would have to be implemented and thus effort for
> implementation might be low

with the proposal from Yves to say "s.t. is conformance if it implements
successfully at least one data category", you would have the same
effect, without having the need for fine grained conformance levels.

> CL> cons: may yield confusion amongst tool users/buyers since they
> cannot easily know that a
> CL>	conformant tool really fits their i18n/l10n requirements
> CL>
> CL> One approach to come up with a more coarse grained granularity of
> course could
> CL> start from clustering/partioning features, and basing conformance on
> clusters. Example:
> CL>
> CL> Definition for Cluster A
> CL>
> CL>	 - data categories 'ruby' and 'directionality'
> CL> 	 - only local rules
> CL>
> CL>  Conformance Clause
> CL>
> CL>    - An implementation of this standard is profile-1 conformant if
> it implements all
> CL>      features defined in Cluster A

Could you make a suggestion what clusters you would suppose for ITS?

> CL> This seems to be an approach taken by other standards (they seem to
> use terms like
> CL> "level", or "profile"). CSS 1 from my understanding for example had
> two clusters:
> CL> core features and extended features (see
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS1#css1-conformance).
> CL> XSL-FO has three (called "basic", "extended" and "complete"; see
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice8.html#conform)
> CL> It defines for each feature (objects and properties), whether a
> conformance level
> CL> requires its implementation or not (see
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/sliceB.html#FO-summary,
> CL> http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/sliceC.html#property-index).

looking at http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice8.html#conform , I have the
feeling the XSL conformance is very close to what is currently in the
ITS draft. In XSL you have three levels basic, extended and complete,
which subsume each other. In the current ITS draft, you have two levels,
which subsume each other.

> CL> Following this line of thinking, we would need to decide on two
> things with regard to conformance:
> CL>
> CL>	1. Do we go for several different types of conformance?
> CL>   2. How do we possibly partition data categories, support for
> selection mechanisms etc. to arrive at different types?

I would propose to go Yves path to say "s.t. is conformant if it
implements just one data category. This would be one level of
conformance, though.
In addition (or rather 'below' that), I would propose to say s.t. about
conformance of schemas, because we have to say s.t. to the audience
"schema developers". In the ITS draft, currently schema conformance is
mixed with data category conformance. I would propose to separate this.

- Felix