Re: Datacat for inline element

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:08:06 +0900, Yves Savourel <yves@opentag.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here are a few ideas for the "inline" data category 9or whatever it will
> be called).
>
> The idea is to identify element like <b>, <span>, etc. that should be
> included in the text runs, contrary to elements like <para>,
> <li>, etc. that are often used as delimiter for blocks of text.

just a question for clarification: Is it necessary to test whether s.t. is
an inline element, that is if it part of an element with mixed content. As
I said during the last call, such a test would be only an approximation,
because you cannot be sure without a schema if you have missed e.g. the
"inlineness" of the <p> elements in:
<ul>
</ul>

> 1- we could use something akin to the translatibility datacat:
>
> <its:documentRule inline='yes' inlineSelector="//b|//span"/>
>
> However there are several aspects to take in account:
>
> - Is this datacat is inheritable?

I would say "no". For example, in some markup schemes lists are allowed in
mixed content elements, e.g. as part of <p>:

<ul>...
<li>...</li>
</ul>

so a list would be an inline element, I guess? But this feature does not
inherit e.g. to the <li> element.

> - Do we need it in situ? (or just dislocated and in schema)

I am not sure about the application scenarios for this, so I don't know.

> If not, maybe the mechanism to use it would be different. A simple
> enumeration could do it maybe?

Enumeration? what would be "bad about the "//" in
"inlineSelector="//b|//span"? They are the only difference to an
enumeration :)

> ...just thinkin aloud agin.

Me too.

- Felix