RE: ITS requirements categorization

Breaking down into data information and rendering information makes it
clearer. Here are a few comments:

[2.4] Provision of a SPAN-like element

I still thing this is a sort of "element version" of annotation vs.
"attribute version" (or [2.5] Note to localisers). If you need to put
remarks on any part of XML document for I18N/L10N, use either <SAPN>-like
elements or "note to localisers" attributes -- this is how I interpreted
these two requirements. Maybe I need more clarification on them.

[2.12] Describing other cultural aspects of the content
We should discuss further on this since this could be a critical
requirement. But when I read the description of this requirement, the first
example that popped up my mind was "translation styles." For example, in
Italian, they use a formal writing style for, say, user guides, while they
use more informal style for on-line help contents. In Japanese, we could use
two different styles for user guides - a formal style (so-called "Da/Dearu
tone") and a polite style (so-called "Desu/Masu tone"). Depending on these
styles, the same source content could be translated in two different ways
(meaning that it could lead to two different target content units). So, from
this point, this requirement could be under "Information for the data".
Again, we'll need to clarify this item, though.

Masaki Itagaki