Re: [xliff] ITS: Preserve space and Language Information

Thanks, Yves,

I was thinking about two possible solutions.
One of them would be as you propose to introduce its attributes that could
work with empty markers as span delimiters.

Another way would be to use the fact that the two relevant XML namespace
attributes are still available on <source> and <target>
Not sure if this is an omission, probably not as we have PR for
resegmentation accounting for that.

This would be somewhat restrictive but would have the advantage that the
related mark up would be always well formed

I tried to write up such restrictive solution for Preserve Space in the
Current Working draft.
It also notes that you can use originalData to preserve whitespace..

I copy paste it here:

Preserve Space
Indicates how to handle whitespace in a given content portion. See [ITS]
Preserve Space for details.
Structural Elements
 Whitespace handling at the structural level is indicated with xml:space in
XLIFF Core and extensions:
Extraction of preserved whitespace at the structural level
Original:

<listing xml:space='preserve'>Line 1
Line 2</listing>

Extraction:

<unit id='1' xml:space='preserve'>
 <segment>
  <source>Line 1
Line 2</source>
 </segment>
</unit>

Inline Elements
 It is not possble to use [XML namespace] on XLIFF inline elements. It is
advised that mixed Preserve Space behavior is NOT used inline in source
formats. In case of extraction of source format inline elements with mixed
Preserve Space behavior, it is advised to extract all discernable portions
with uniform whitespace handling into different <unit> elements that can
have their whitespace handling set independently.
Whitespace handling can be also set independently for text segments and
ignorable text portions within an Extracted unit and for the source ad
target language within the same <segment> or <ignorable> element using the
optional xml:space attribute at the <source> and <target> elements.
However, mixed whitespace handling behavior is not likely to survive
Segmentation Modification. So this method is not advised unless the
<segment> elements are protected by the canResegment flag value set to or
inhrited as no.
Preserved whitespaces can be also extracted as original data stored outside
of the translatable content at the unit level and referenced from
placeholder codes. It is importnat to note that the value of the xml:space
attribute is restricted to preserve on the <data> element.
Extraction of preserved whitespaces as referenced original data
Original:

Extraction:

<unit id='1'>
  <originalData>
    <data id="d1">&lt;span xml:space='preserve'></data>
    <data id="d2">&lt;/span></data>
    <data id="d3">      </data>
    <data id="d4">
    </data>
  </originalData>
  <segment>
    <source><pc id="1" dataRefStart="d1" dataRefEnd="d2">Item 1<ph id="2"
dataRef="d3">Item 2<ph id="2" dataRef="d3">Item n+1<ph id="2"
dataRef="d4"></pc> are all used to build Item n+2.</source>
  </segment>
</unit>

Not sure really which solution is better, but I'd say we should explore
both..

Cheers
dF

Dr. David Filip
OASIS XLIFF TC Secretary, Editor, and Liaison Officer
LRC | CNGL | CSIS
University of Limerick, Ireland
telephone: +353-6120-2781
*cellphone: +353-86-0222-158*