W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-its-ig@w3.org > October 2014

RE: [xliff] possible issue with URN prefixes used to define acceptable namespaces in XLIFF 2.1

From: Yves Savourel <ysavourel@enlaso.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 06:00:37 -0600
To: "'Felix Sasaki'" <fsasaki@w3.org>
CC: "'Dr. David Filip'" <David.Filip@ul.ie>, <xliff@lists.oasis-open.org>, "'public-i18n-its-ig'" <public-i18n-its-ig@w3.org>
Message-ID: <004b01cfe2ef$7991c090$6cb541b0$@enlaso.com>
Hi Felix,

> I assume by "start the mapping" you mean: creating example input and 
> output files? 

Not quite. I meant "start to write the rules file".
But starting the test files at the same time would be perfect too


Maybe things would be clearer for everyone with an example, so see the attached files:

- allowed-characters.xlf is an XLIFF 2 document with one of the ITS module feature.
Important note:
The namespace of the XLIFF core is still "urn:oasis:names:tc:xliff:document:2.0" but the version is version="2.1". This is likely to
confuse a lot of people, but there is no way around: It means the namespace of the core has not changed, but the version of the
document is 2.1 so it uses the new ITS module.
The ITS module is using "itx" as its prefix to try to make things clearer. But technically it should really be "its" as it is the
ITS module. We should never have true ITS elements or attributes in XLIFF (if we have, they would be seen as extensions).

- its-to-xliff.xml is a start of the ITS/XLIFF rules file. It tell ITS-processors a) the basic info about what to translate and
which elements are inline. And it has a rule that maps the ITS "Allowed Characters" data category to the attribute of the ITS module
in XLIFF that implement such feature (a brand new one as it does not exists currently)

Test results for ITS-only processors may be like this (same as for ITS tests):

/xliff
/xliff/@srcLang
/xliff/@version
/xliff/file[1]
/xliff/file[1]/@id
/xliff/file[1]/unit[1]
/xliff/file[1]/unit[1]/@id
/xliff/file[1]/unit[1]/segment[1]
/xliff/file[1]/unit[1]/segment[1]/source[1]
/xliff/file[1]/unit[1]/segment[1]/source[1]/pc[1]
/xliff/file[1]/unit[1]/segment[1]/source[1]/pc[1]/@id
/xliff/file[1]/unit[1]/segment[1]/source[1]/pc[1]/mrk[1]	allowedCharacters="[a-ZA-Z]"
/xliff/file[1]/unit[1]/segment[1]/source[1]/pc[1]/mrk[1]/@id
/xliff/file[1]/unit[1]/segment[1]/source[1]/pc[1]/mrk[1]/@itx:allowedCharacters
/xliff/file[1]/unit[1]/segment[1]/source[1]/pc[1]/mrk[1]/@type

While test results for XLIFF procssors amy be like this:

#/f=f1/u=u1/m1	allowedCharacters="[a-zA-Z]"


> I put some questions in the ITS IG wiki see 
> https://www.w3.org/International/its/wiki/XLIFF_2.0_Mapping#Testing_the_mapping
> once we have resolved them I'm happy to start with file creation.

I've tried to answer them:
https://www.w3.org/International/its/wiki/XLIFF_2.0_Mapping#Testing_the_mapping

cheers,
-ys



Received on Wednesday, 8 October 2014 12:01:13 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:11:31 UTC