Re: [xliff] possible issue with URN prefixes used to define acceptable namespaces in XLIFF 2.1

Thanks, Yves, more inline..

This would allow only ITS processor that support external rules to work
> with the file. (But it's already the case for the data categories using the
> supplemental its-xliff namespace anyway).
>
> We would simply define a rules file with all the rules mapping the XLIFF
> ITS module to ITS.
> A pure ITS processor would just use that file.

Wouldn't it be possible to use the rules element at the file level? to
avoid referencing an external rules file?

> The XLIFF processors implementing the ITS module would not need to use it.
>
> Fredrik suggestion has several advantages:
>
> - It decouple ITS and XLIFF namespaces

Not sure if this is an advantage..

> - We would need only a single namespace for the module (doing the job for
> both the ITS one and the supplemental one)

I think it could be useful to keep them apart to be clear on what a exists
locally in generic ITS and what had to be "made up" for XLIFF puposes. I
guess could be useful for extractor/merger implementers.

> - It would allow both namespaces to evolve (be updated) separately if
> needed

I think that this is the only disadvantage of this solution: supporting the
namespaces in two separate locations, under separate authorities, is error
prone and an opportunity for divergence..

> Neither OASIS nor the W3C have to agree with anything here: it's just the
> XLIFF TC creating a new module and using ITS the way it's used for many
> other formats: through mapping.

I like that aspect, i.e. that in this case everything is clearly in OASIS
XLIFF TC jurisdiction

Cheers
dF