Re: New article for REVIEW: Working with composite messages

Martin Duerst wrote:

> Hello Richard,
>
> Some small comments: An example is not consistent ("The ... has been
> enabled." vs. "The ... has been disabled.").
>
> "... improve message consistency, and optimize memory.": I'd
> put at least a 'may' before "optimize memory". This is way less
> of an issue than a few years ago.
>
> " If the alternative string stapler options were used at runtime, the
> word has would be incorrect": No need to use conditional; the example
> as shown beforehand suggests that "stapler options" is actually
> being used.
>
> "However, since there is now only a single string containing the word
> has, it cannot be translated in more than one way.": Difficult to
> understand:
> no need to translate, because the problem exists already in English.
> This problem is reinforced by the start of the next paragraph, which
> brings up other languages, and therefore suggests that the sentence
> in question is really only about English. It seems that in these two
> paragraphs, two different issues (the problem already being there
> in English, and the problem of translation) have been mixed too
> much. I suggest cleaning things up by first only talking about
> English, and then talking about other languages, translations,...
>
> As for the question below, I clearly think 'topic' is better than
> 'subject', but I'm not happy with 'predicate' as well as with
> 'comment'. Unfortunately, I don't have a better suggestion (yet).

At least the terms "topic" and "comment" are established in some
linguistic analysis, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topic-prominent_language , based on the
so-called "prague school" of linguistics, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_School . In that context, they
meaning is very close to what is expressed in Richard's article.

Regards, Felix.