Re: Please review Language techniques changes

Richard Ishida wrote:

>Chaps,
>
>I spent much of today updating the Language techniques doc in an attempt to move it yet closer to publication.
>http://www.w3.org/International/geo/html-tech/tech-lang.html
>
>I made a lot of editorial changes.

Hi Richard,

Here are some comments

1) References are classified: "Background", "How-to's", "Sources"...
while naming suggest the type of reference list, it may be worth to add
an explanation on this in the introduction.
The Background references in the document generaly points to FAQs. The
question is, could a smaller and less formall text, the FAQ, be a
background for a bigger and more detailed text, "...specifying the
language of content..."?

2) In section 3, I'm not sure I understand the para. 4
"Furthermore, it is strangely inconsistent not to use attributes to
declare the default text processing language when they have to be used
for all fragments of text in a document." Is the word "all"  important
so as to be in italic, as is the world "have"?

3) It's not clear (to me) that (section 3 item 2 )
- "You should always declare [in html tag] the text processing language"
when there is only one primary language (according to the  title of
section), and (section 4 item 2)
- "decide whether you want to declare a single text processing language
in the html tag, or leave it undefined".

It's *when* there are many primary languages that the text processing
language by default is *usefull* to know.
Put another way, what does il mean "the default text processing language"?
- the one to use when a, <p> element say, has no lang attribute?
or
- the one to use when there are many primary languages (and then which
one, or no one, should be the default).

4) section4 item 2
 "Note that there is a definite problem when dealing with multilingual
title elements. Only one language can be declared for this element in
HTML 4.01".
In any case, at an element level, we could only declare  "lang"
attribute, and only one with a single language. (Note that for more than
one lang declaration, it seems that the first one is taken into acount.
Mozilla)

Regards Najib.

--
Najib TOUNSI (mailto:tounsi@w3.org)