RE: i18n, l10n, g11n faq: Please review

All:

Actually, you might want to look at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/NOTE-ws-i18n-scenarios-20040730/#IDARXSO

I like those definitions more than the ones here, I think. That section doesn't focus exclusively on the three numerically infixed beasties, but provides a nice interlocking set of definitions (and has been quoted elsewhere, I note).

My comments on the document as written follow:

1. I18N should come before L10N. It is a more natural progression in my opinion to move from enabling software, content, or products to creating specific versions targetted to a specific market.

2. The definition of localization refers to "the adaptation of a product". I would include content and software as in my point #1 to make clear that localization may apply to more than just the software code (the "payload" of a product).

3. The same point applies to " Localization may even necessitate a comprehensive rethinking of a program" I would say something like:

  "Localization may even necessitate a comprehensive rethinking of logic, visual design, or presentation"

4. I don't like the definition of i18n because it sounds remedial (the phrasing to me seems to denote a project rather than an approach). I prefer the one from WSUS:

  [Definition: Internationalization]The process of designing, creating, and maintaining software that can serve the needs of users with differing language, cultural, or geographic requirements and expectations.

5. " Excluding localizable elements from source code." is not clear. How about:

   "Externalizing localizable elements. In addition to strings, localizable elements include sizes, positions, colors, images, and other settings that may need to be altered when tailoring the product for a specific local market (during the localization process). Externalization removes these items to separate files ("resources") that can be loaded or selected based on the user's international preferences at runtime."

6. Spell out "for example". Don't use e.g.

7. Globalization is sometimes written as g11n (ick). Personally, I would move the infix defintions away from the main definitions. I personally dislike them (Norbert Lindenberg of Sun often refers to them as I19g, using the German word...).

8. I dislike the globalization definition. While the first paragraph is *a* correct definition of globalization, it doesn't refer to the globalization that we are talking about in the GILT industry. Globalization in that definition is not something protested by quasi-anarchists wherever the G8 is meeting. The definition we want should be *first*, not second.

I don't particularly like the wording of the GILT definition either. In particular, globalization is *not* a process. It is an organizational approach to integrating internationalization with product/content development so that the product can be tailored for global or multi-lingual markets easily. It is, in the words of Glen Perkins, "... a fundamental architectural approach".

9. In the globalization definition we switch from "products" to "Web sites" for no apparent reason.

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
http://www.webMethods.com
Chair, W3C Internationalization (I18N) Working Group
http://www.w3.org/International

It is not a feature.