RE: New version of language tutorial

Localhost, eh? Now I know why the website is slow sometimes :-)

http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-lang.html

This looks great. The revisions are quite nice.

Some comments:

1. I would certainly cite the zh-Hans and zh-Hant registered values, incidentally. Registrations are located at:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-tags

2. I wouldn't say:

>They don't cover the needs to express general regions; for example,
>there is still no tag for the generalised Latin-American Spanish
>that many //translation companies produce.//

I would say:

>They don't cover the needs to express general regions; for example,
>there is still no tag for the generalised Latin-American Spanish
>that many //organizations use to create Spanish content.//

Note that this topic is VERY controversial (in certain circles). es-americas was rejected by the RFC3066 language tag reviewer. I read this as taking a position on that argument (one that I favor, but one that someone could object too).

3. Just below that:

>There is a need, sometimes, to distinguish the script used,
>in addition to the language. For example, Mongolian might be
>written in Mongolian script or Cyrillic; Croatian might be
>written in Latin or Cyrillic; Azerbaijani might be written
>in Latin or Arabic; ...

Azerbaijani has threee registered values (az-Arab, az-Latn, az-Cyrl). You might want to omit that example.

4. You mention:

>People are currently working on solutions to these issues, including people from ISO TC37, SIL, and W3C, etc

You might want to mention the internet draft (e.g. that RFC3066 might itself get replaced), rather than just noting that some people are working on the problem. Although maybe it would be better to wait on that kind of commentary until there is some forward movement and revise the tutorial itself at that point.

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
http://www.webMethods.com
Chair, W3C Internationalization (I18N) Working Group
http://www.w3.org/International

It is not a feature.