From: Jungshik Shin [mailto:jshin@i18nl10n.com]
Sent: 24 October 2003 10:20
To: Deborah Cawkwell
Cc: public-i18n-geo@w3.org
Subject: RE: MINUTES: GEO telecon 20031009

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Deborah Cawkwell wrote:

I'm very sorry for my late reply and thansk a lot for your prompt reply.

> One of the purposes of our participation in the W3C I18N working group
> and standards groups within the organisation is to continually improve
> WS sites. We are keen to learn from the rest of the group as well as
> input into the group with problems that we face.

  That's great. I only wish others in news media did the same :-)
(OT : It'd be even nicer of you (or others at BBC) to participate in
W3C accessibility working group (http://www.w3.org/WAI) as well. if you
don't at the moment.)

> Jungshik is right in that currently we are only using utf-8 where
there
> is no alternative.  This is something we are regularly looking at and
> will change over time where it becomes appropriate for our target
> audience.

  I'd argue that the change would be transparent to most audiences right
now, but I'd not insist that you have to change it right away partly
because I believe it's not just audience-side but also 'supplier side'
(that is, BBC and its reporters and other staffs) that has to be taken
into account.

> Regarding the 'lang' tag, we will shortly be implementing this across
> our site, in this case to comply with our internal language
> Regarding your writing with the 'lang' tag suggestion and not
receiving
> a reply, I can only apologise. We usually try to respond to all

  No problem. I'm glad you're gonna implement it across the site soon.

  Jungshik

BBCi at http://www.bbc.co.uk/

stated.
BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.