Re: 1st Working Draft of Authoring Techniques for XHTML & HTML Internationalization Published

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Tex Texin wrote:

Hi,

> I have trouble with the term "localized font name" because for many of the
> asian fonts I know, they had native names for years and the ascii name, coming
> later, is the localized version, localized for the US... ;-)

 You're right that I should have used ASCII names and non-ASCII ('native')
names, instead.

> But you have a good point and font naming is a very big problem area. I know
> Richard was trying to develop a list of fonts to use for the languages around
> the world earlier in the year.

  Mozilla has such a list (although not very extensive) per
script('langGroup')  and platform.  As you may know, CSS2 (or CSS1) spec
has a similar list, but I'm afraid some of them need to be changed. For
example, my feedback (and my brother's) on Korean fonts (the one
given as sans-serif is actually 'serif-like' while the one listed as
serif is sans-serif) hasn't been acted on. Perhaps, we can make a more
comprehensive list by merging Richard's (that probably includes that
of CSS1), Mozilla's and other source (I'm familar with what fonts are
shipped by various linux distributions).

> Your comment on font names could make a good FAQ. Jungshik, would you like to
> create one?

 Thanks for the suggestion. Not right now, but I'll keep that in mind.

> I am not sure though that the behavior is the same for all operating
> systems and/or browsers.
> I am familiar with Microsoft and it is right from the underlying architecture
> perspective. We would need to confirm the behavior for several user agents on
> several systems with several languages, as you indicate by examples.

  I can test various agents on Windows 2k and Windows ME and Linux, but
I need help from Mac users. BTW, most foundries don't seem to bother to
fill out family name fields (of truetype/opentype fonts) for languages
other than English (you can list the family name of a truetype font in
tens of different languages). All (truetype/opentype) fonts that I've
seen have non-ASCII names are CJK fonts. As for other font formats (type1,
X11 BDF), non-ascii names are not even allowed.

  Jungshik