Re: New Q&As uploaded !!

Hello Richard,

Nice work. Some comments:

At 19:06 03/05/08 +0100, Richard Ishida wrote:

>-       http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-non-eng-tags.html

- The 'sources' section looks really weird. This is the Web!
   Let's use it the way it was intended. Just put the links
   in the main text.

- I would mention the usefulness of this for education/teaching.
   It's very widely used in Japan at least, in books on XML, and so on.

- Giving an example is also a good idea, just to add some color.

- It would be good to say something about the fact that tag names
   in XHTML have to be lower case.

- Mention that using non-ASCII tag names introduces stronger limitations
   on what encodings you can use, because NCRs are not allowed in tag names.

- I would de-emphasize the "don't have the right fonts and
   rendering software on your system". This is a general problem.
   We also should say that processing software should not have any
   problems whatsoever with tags outside ASCII; if it does,
   it's simply not XML.

- "If you yourself had to deal with a tagset in, say, Chinese": We
   should be careful with the wording. It may lead some people to
   think that XML is mainly for the authors, while it is intended
   to be distributed widely.

>-       http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-encoding-alts.html
>(not quite completed)

I would stay away from this subject for a little more time.
It's very difficult to get this short, complete, easy, simple,
and correct. There is also quite some material out there (including
http://www.w3.org/International/O-charset.html and
http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTTP-charset), and
some points are under discussion. So I would wait with this
or maybe try with more limited question(s) first.

You separately mentioned
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-bidi-space.html

I think the "If you are using certain browsers this may be because"
is very dangerous. This brings us back to the old, dark days of
trying to second-guess browser implementations. It may be necessary
in some cases, but not without any indication of what is the
correct browser behavior.

Regards,    Martin.