Re: Re[2]: FW: acronym in title...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Al Gilman" <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
To: "Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG" <rscano@iwa-italy.org>; <ishida@w3.org>;
<w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org>; <public-i18n-geo@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 12:10 AM
Subject: Re: Re[2]: FW: acronym in title...

>I would approach the assistive technology developers and ask what
>kind of an indirect relationship they could most readily see
>implementing.  Will they come to the W3C DOM for this information?
>Do we need to get it into MSAA?

I think that IBM and other W3C member that create these applications could

>It would not be hard to write a tool that reads a glossary and
>adds things like the language information to HTML attributes where
>they appear in the DOM.  Then the assistive technology could know that
>'Piazza San Marco' was Italian.

Hum... i think it would be difficoult to have a full dictionary for all the
possible words.
But - at now - i have no proposal for solution in my mind :-/

>The problem is that if the HTML Working Group were to introduce an
>incompatible change in a minor release like that, who would implement
>it?  The conventional wisdom is "nobody."  And I am not inclined to
>second-guess the experts on that point.
>
>Incompatible changes in HTML are generally not going to be considered
>outside the XHTML 2.0 activity, as it is risky to think with the heavy use
>of HTML all the time that any incompatible changes will be taken up in
>practice, even with the best efforts of the HTML WG.
>
>XHTML 2.0 is the version that HTML WG is working on.  We would have to have
>a flaming disaster going on to get an incompatible change released as some
>sort of an interim patch, and it is not clear who would implement it.
>
>Besides, there are too many, too good, ways to do this in ways that
>interoperate with HTML 2.0.

[cut]

>There is also a plugin option for the browser extension.  Also an
>independent screen scraper like Atomica.

So, at least, for the "previous" version all we can do is to "hope" to
have - for example - intelligent text readers that read the words in the
natural language...

Roberto Scano
IWA/HWG EMEA Coordinator
W3C Advisory Committee Representative for IWA/HWG
International Webmasters Association / HTML Writers Guild
http://www.iwanet.org - http://www.hwg.org
E-Mail: emea@iwanet.org - w3c-rep@iwanet.org