RE: backburner question: Checking HTTP Headers (was: Sites to see headers)

At 15:35 03/06/17 +0100, Richard Ishida wrote:
>Martin,
>
>Thanks for proposing this.
>
>I have just edited your file as follows:
>-       standardised the structure
>-       added a 'content created' date at the bottom (as per Tex's
>suggestion)
>-       added a charset declaration
>-       removed trailing dots from headers except last header
>(consistent with current approach), and changed 'Notes' header to 'By
>the way...' (hope that's ok)

Thanks a lot, also for your other comments.

>I have the following suggestions:
>
>-       the background and answer suggest to me that the question should
>rather be "How can I check the character encoding information sent in
>the HTTP header of a web document?"

Done.

>-       I'd suggest using h3 elements rather than bulleted list (for
>readability, but also consistency - see eg
>http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-date-format.html)

Done.

>-       the ((X)HTML) source =>  the (X)HTML source  OR   (and the
>(X)HTML source)

I took away the outer parentheses.

>-       Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8  - I'm not sure the utf-8
>needs to be italicised

I put it in italics to show that that's the place where people
have to look to. Any alternatives welcome.

>-       the actual markup =>  the markup

done.

>-       e.g. a document claiming to be iso-8859-1 may not actually be
>iso-8859-2. => for example, a document claiming to be iso-8859-1 is
>actually encoded using iso-8859-2 or some other encoding.

done.

>Hope that helps.

Thanks!

>See also comments below.

I read them. I'll try to follow. But I'd prefer markup
conventions that are easy to deal in a visual editor such
as Amaya.

Regards,    Martin.