RE: backburner question: Checking HTTP Headers (was: Sites to see headers)

Martin,

Thanks for proposing this.

I have just edited your file as follows:
-	standardised the structure
-	added a 'content created' date at the bottom (as per Tex's
suggestion)
-	added a charset declaration
-	removed trailing dots from headers except last header
(consistent with current approach), and changed 'Notes' header to 'By
the way...' (hope that's ok)

I have the following suggestions:

-	the background and answer suggest to me that the question should
rather be "How can I check the character encoding information sent in
the HTTP header of a web document?"

-	I'd suggest using h3 elements rather than bulleted list (for
readability, but also consistency - see eg
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-date-format.html)

-	 the ((X)HTML) source =>  the (X)HTML source  OR   (and the
(X)HTML source)

needs to be italicised

-	 the actual markup =>  the markup

-	e.g. a document claiming to be iso-8859-1 may not actually be
iso-8859-2. => for example, a document claiming to be iso-8859-1 is
actually encoded using iso-8859-2 or some other encoding.

Hope that helps.

See also comments below.

RI

============
Richard Ishida
W3C

tel: +44 1753 480 292
http://www.w3.org/International/
http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/

tml

>Olivier, I have copied you because this mentions the validator.

>Richard, I'm not sure I got the
>what it is for,

I should have used a class="section" div that surrounded both h2 and
section content.  At the time I was not sure whether the negative
indents that that would require for the headings would work properly
everywhere, and didn't have time to explore it.

It makes it much easier to process the page with XSLT if additional
structure such as sections are added, but it also allows me to add a
consistent css margin to the section on one line rather than having to
add margins to any element that might appear in the section.

>but it seems to affect styling in
>somewhat strange ways.

Amaya certainly seems to turn this into a dog's breakfast.  It looks
fine in NN7, NN4, IE and Opera.

>In general, to reduce overhead,
>it is easiest to mark up all the other parts and leave
>the unmarked parts as simple content, but maybe I got
>something wrong.

Note that there is one <div class="content"> for each section (I should
have called it 'section-content' - or implemented properly as
'section').  That was the only problem - I fixed it for you.