Re: when to use language negotiation- author needed

At 12:42 03/12/22 +1100, Andrew Cunningham wrote:

>Martin Duerst wrote:

>>It must be possible with Apache, because the Apache documentation
>>project uses it. Look e.g. at
>>http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/en/content-negotiation.html
>>http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/ko/content-negotiation.html
>>http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/ja/content-negotiation.html
>>and http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/content-negotiation.html.
>>But I haven't figured it out yet, but it seems to involve more
>>than just simple configuration directives.
>
>I assume they're using type maps, esp since you specify URIs in the type
>maps rather than filenames.

I'll try to find out more. But you might be right. A quick
check gives:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/en/content-negotiation.var
-> Forbidden
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/en/content-negotiation.xyz
-> Not found

Using typemaps is certainly possible, but it requires some
amount of management to make sure they are correct. But then,
Apache also needs to do that because it includes links to all
available language variants in each page (which is also a
good thing to do, of course).

>Content negotiation appears to be implimented at the higher directory
>structure index levels like http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/ but if you
>follow a deep link into the documentation you don't have langauge
>negotiation instead you have to select a language form the langauge menu.
>Either that or my browser is misbehaving.

I have just checked that. For both Netscape 7.1 and Opera 7.2,
content negotiation worked fine, even for documents further down
in the hierarchy. I can change the order of languages in preferences
and force a reload at will. So I guess you should check your browser.

Regards,    Martin.