From: Ken Whistler <kenwhistler@sonic.net>
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2023 3:10 PM
To: Markus Scherer <markus.icu@gmail.com>; Addison Phillips <addisoni18n@gmail.com>
Cc: Editorial Committee <edcom@unicode.org>; Internationalization Working Group <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Questions/comments about glossary and FAQ entries (i18n-actions#25)

Markus, Addison,

This particular FAQ item is very old and problematical. A wayback machine snap from June 3, 2004:

"A: UTF-16 uses a single 16-bitcode unit to encode the most common 63K characters, and a pair of 16-bit code unites, called surrogates, to encode the 1M less commonly used characters in Unicode."

Yes, "unites" [sic]. ;-) So nobody has really attended much to it for 2 decades now.

As Markus surmised, it should have been 62K characters, not 63K, after subtracting the 2K surrogate code points. But in any case, I conclude on this one:

A. W3C should not be referring to this particular item for anything. The glossary entry is much more correct and aligned with the core specification text:

https://www.unicode.org/glossary/#UTF_16

B. This particular feedback should be tossed to the FAQ group for correction and rewording.

--Ken