Re: HTML named entity issue [I18N-ACTION-1244]

Some points to consider:

[1] We should perhaps limit our request to invisible characters (like
NNSBP, RLI, etc.)

[2] We have recently gone through a similar and arguably successful
transition with the RLE->RLI change.  All major browsers now support use
of RLI etc.

[3] Addition of any new feature to HTML causes the same backward
compatibility issue they describe in their rationale to avoid adding these.

[4] It's not as easy as remembering the numbers of code points (which is
already difficult for some of us, and requires us to take time out from
authoring to check we're using the right thing), but many RTL scripts
require the content author to remember a large number of code point
values, some of which are used very infrequently.  See for example
https://r12a.github.io/scripts/arab/arb.html#directioncontrols (which
doesn't even list all of the ones you'd need when working in such scripts).

[5] The comments at
https://github.com/mfreed7/html/commit/5662df8570a1c93c484943544bc77d8497b906da
take into account the cost to the ecosystem, but dismiss the benefits as
a mere convenience.  I'd argue that the current situation is actually a
bit of a headache for people working with content in many scripts around
the world.

ri