From: Andrew Cunningham <lang.support@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2023 11:24 AM
To: Addison Phillips <addisoni18n@gmail.com>
Cc: Internationalization Working Group <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
Subject: Re: agenda+ How do we feel about installable locales?

Addison,

It is something I have been considering since work started on ICU4X. I tend to support lesser used and minority languages as well as mainstream languages. Implementing a locale in CLDR has overheads and barriers so it's much more useful to leverage off libc locales (which are more limited) combined with rule based classes in ICU4C/ICU4J

I understand the concerns around fingerprinting but reality is for minority language groups if fingerprinting is a design goal then these groups will be technically marginalised.

If locales can not be added to browsers, then either:

1. Two architectures and approaches are needed: web browser based solutions for some locales and server based solutions for all others,

2. All locale based operations handled at server not browser, or

3. A rapid program to develop and deploy many more locales. Web browsers would conceivably need to add hundreds (or thousands) of additional locales (and variations) over time.

Andrew