Re: [Webtransport] A comment on draft-kinnear-httpbis-http2-transport-02

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 12:54 PM Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
wrote:

> The distinction between binary and text datagrams, and the limitation of
> text datagrams to UTF-8, considerably simplifies the creation of
> datagram-based protocols and increases interoperability.
>
> I wonder why this wasn't included in the Webtransport draft, and hope
> that it can be added.

Hello Martin,

WebTransport does not make any assumptions about the nature of the payload
it transmits, that is to say, all of the payload is assumed to be binary.
That is consistent with the general way the similar recent API has handled
this (e.g. streaming fetch), as well as the design of underlying
protocols.  TextEncoderStream/TextDecoderStream can be used to easily
transform one into the other.

I'm especially confused about this being related to the datagrams; almost
all datagram protocols I've seen are binary-based, since ~1200 bytes is
typically too small for text-based protocols.

  -- Victor.