I18N-ISSUE-500: FindText API vs. Charmod-Norm ⓟ [find-text]

From: Internationalization Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 21:39:23 +0000
To: public-i18n-core@w3.org
I18N-ISSUE-500: FindText API vs. Charmod-Norm ⓟ [find-text]

Raised by: Addison Phillips
On product: find-text

The FindText API specification appears to be doing a lot of what Charmod-Norm's section about text searching intends to do. This section is under-developed by comparison with FindText.

By contrast, Charmod-Norm does have relatively well-developed sections defining case folding, character equivalence, Unicode normalization, and the like.

Would it make sense to reduce charmod's scope in favor of FindText for find operations?