I18N-ISSUE-425: Normalization and string identity issues ⓟ [WebVTT]

From: Internationalization Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 01:30:08 +0000
To: public-i18n-core@w3.org
I18N-ISSUE-425: Normalization and string identity issues ⓟ [WebVTT]

Raised by: Addison Phillips
On product: WebVTT

http://www.w3.org/TR/webvtt1/#webvtt-file-structure

Various constructs such as 'cue identifier' are described as being:

--
...any sequence of one or more characters not containing the substring "-->"...
--

This is good, but does leave open the question of whether different Unicode character sequences that represent the same semantic string identifier (see: Charmod-Norm) are considered "the same" or not. As currently written, different UTF-8 byte sequences are considered distinct.