Comments on: W3C Process2015

Dear Process folks,

I have the following comments on the proposed 2015 Process document. Please note that we discussed aspects of the process in the I18N WG on several occasions recently, but not the specifics of my comments presented here: these comments are mine.

Section 7.1.2, Candidate Recommendation (CR):

As I noted previously on the chairs list, because the circa 2014 process does not require a Last Call, it is entirely possible that Internationalization might never hear about a document or have the opportunity to formally review it until it is passing the CR threshold. While we have switched our process to tracking every FPWD, this is a tedious process and requires the working group (and mainly the chair) to evaluate every FPWD document. The process is, in other words, not helping us do a good job. This may apply to other “horizontal groups” also. Richard and I have inserted comments into [1], but would suggest some text in the process document also:

Alter the sentence: “A Candidate Recommendation is a document that satisfies the Working Group's technical requirements, and has already received wide review.”

To read:

“A Candidate Recommendation is a document that satisfies the Working Group's technical requirements, has already received wide review, and has been reviewed by W3C’s horizontal groups.”

Section 7.2.3.1, Wide Review

As above, a mention of the horizontal groups might be desirable here. Perhaps they should be explicitly cited as evidence of wide review? Perhaps add a mention of the horizontal groups, such as Internationalization, to this sentence:

“Before approving transitions, the Director will consider who has been explicitly offered a reasonable opportunity to review the document, who has provided comments, the record of requests to and responses from reviewers, especially groups identified as dependencies in the charter or identified as liaisons [PUB29], and seek evidence of clear communication to the general public about appropriate times and which content to review and whether such reviews actually occurred.”

For example:

“Before approving transitions, the Director will consider who has been explicitly offered a reasonable opportunity to review the document, who has provided comments, the record of requests to and responses from reviewers, especially groups identified as dependencies in the charter and identified as liaisons [PUB29] as well as W3C’s horizontal groups [define them], and seek evidence of clear communication to the general public about appropriate times and which content to review and whether such reviews actually occurred.”

Thanks,

Addison

[1] https://www.w3.org/wiki/DocumentReview

Addison Phillips