I18N-ISSUE-391: Quotation Marks are Different in Other Languages ⓟ [LatinLReq]

From: Internationalization Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 06:02:13 +0000
To: public-i18n-core@w3.org
I18N-ISSUE-391: Quotation Marks are Different in Other Languages ⓟ [LatinLReq]

Raised by: Leslie Sikos
On product: LatinLReq

Requirements for Latin Text Layout and Pagination
19.1 Language-specific spacing rules
http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-dpub-latinreq-20140930/#punctuation

There are languages other than French with extended Latin alphabets that use different characters as quotation marks than English. In contrast to the English quotation marks (U+201c (8220), U+201d (8221)), German and Hungarian use low open quotation marks (U+201E (8222)). The Hungarian close quotation mark is identical to that of English (U+201D (8221)) while in German the close quotation mark is identical to the English open quotation mark (U+201C (8220)). It should be clearly indicated that the table is just an example, and there are further quotation marks in other languages, or even extend the table with further examples.