RE: Initial cut at Locale-based forms in HTML pages

That's a good point.  However, "fr" is a valid locale. It doesn't have some of the things a regionally qualified locale has--a default currency for example. But is does have all of the formats that any other locale has. Note that ICU provides an API for this sort of thing (ULocale's "addLikelySubtags") and CLDR recommends a specific algorithm. [I have a version of that for handling Chinese, for example]

One way to think about this is that the @lang is really a "language priority list" (see RFC 4647 [1]) with just one item in it [an elaboration of this would be to consider the @lang "stack" from enclosing elements, but that's complicated to implement]. The last (default) locale in the priority list remains that of the browser's runtime. Invalid language tags or unavailable locales just don't match anything and you fall back.

Addison

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4647#section-3.4