Re: Encoding Standard

> There are other problems. The W3C draft does not actually acknowledge
> who has done the authoring and claims three other people have done it,
> while all that can be said is that they have copy-and-pasted from the
> https://github.com/whatwg/xhr  repository. That is not acceptable
> behavior.
>
> To this very day the W3C is actively recruiting people to
> copy-and-paste WHATWG original work, e.g. for the DOM and URL
> Standards, without contacting the original author(s). I realize the
> W3C is more than the W3C Team, but the W3C Team is there to give
> advice about appropriate conduct.

I think we are mostly in agreement about proper behaviors for
acknowledging work coming into W3C.  To set it out in my words:

1. For me the best solution is for the authors of documents to bring in
the document to W3C.  In response to Mozilla's objection to the HTML
Charter, we worked long and hard to get a consensus.  We delayed the
Charter by 6 months and overcame several other objections to introduce a
permissive license.  I continue to hope that this will be adopted by
authors.  I recognize that for some authors, cc-by does not go far
enough.  I respect their views even as I lobby for my views.

2. If others choose to bring these documents into W3C, they should
actively seek support from the authors.  Drafts in both W3C and WHATWG
should appropriately acknowledge contributions.  If that was not done in
some cases, I apologize on behalf of W3C (if I can do that), and I would
request that we fix it.

3. I do have an expectation that given appropriate request to bring
these documents and appropriate acknowledgement in the document, that
these requests will be granted.  We've been public about our partnership
with WHATWG on HTML (see e.g. [1]), and given that W3C requires a stable
reference for these documents, we should find a friendly path to
continue the partnership.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Apr/0204.html