[minutes] i18n telecon 2012-03-21


  Internationalization Core Working Group Teleconference

21 Mar 2012



    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2012/03/21-i18n-irc


           Addison, Richard, Norbert, Gwyneth, Felix


           Addison Phillips

           Addison Phillips


      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]TPAC 2012
          5. [9]Multilingual Web
          6. [10]HTML Encoding Specification
          7. [11]AOB?
      * [12]Summary of Action Items


Action Items

    <r12a> [13]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [13] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    close ACTION-100

    <trackbot> ACTION-100 Respond to Sam and also ping Hixie about
    what we're doing about ruby, noting that we need more time to
    reach consensus closed

    <DavidClarke> sorry... must opt out...

    close ACTION-105

    <trackbot> ACTION-105 Move this call to 1500 UTC beginning next
    week (21 April) closed

    thanks to dave for running the poll

Info Share

    richard: remind us all that if your AC Rep changes, then
    important for the organizaiton to send email to
    ac-update@w3.org list to notify the W3C

TPAC 2012



    richard: need to register by 30 April if our group is to meet

    addison: I will fill in survey form; ask for phone

Multilingual Web

    richard: had final MLWeb project

    "heritage project"

    scribe: in LUX last week, 130 attendees
    ... went well
    ... everyone very happy

    <fsasaki> yay!

    scribe: had some good presentations
    ... including Joomla, wikimedia, MSFT

    richard: spoke to some mozilla folks about ruby
    ... may have some support there
    ... looking at possibility of having more
    ... felix's WG/project will run project events
    ... and may do something similar
    ... perhaps in about a year?
    ... seems to be keen on/have interest

    felix: co-chair MLWeb LT WG
    ... and W3C Fellow
    ... thanks richard for building up the community

    <r12a> [15]http://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/tags/mlwlux/

      [15] http://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/tags/mlwlux/

    <r12a> [16]http://www.w3.org/community/mws/

      [16] http://www.w3.org/community/mws/

    richard: community group set up
    ... photos are impressive

    <fsasaki> [17]http://www.w3.org/2011/12/mlw-lt-charter

      [17] http://www.w3.org/2011/12/mlw-lt-charter


      [18] http://www.w3.org/2012/03/21-swcg-minutes.html#item01



    felix: RDF1.1 moving forward. XML Literal datatype to be
    dropped? adding HTML Literal
    ... so metadata same as html5
    ... of interest to this WG


      [20] https://www.w3.org/2000/09/dbwg/details?group=53116&public=1

    richard: receive a lot of attention during workshop
    ... tony graham talking about a community group to promote
    developing requirements for typography similar to JLReq

HTML Encoding Specification


      [21] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/encoding/raw-file/tip/Overview.html

    richard: in domain meeting yesterday, need to get some decision
    ... is this something that should be done and where
    ... also contact unicode folks
    ... get opinion on how useful
    ... put a "ring around" full list of encodings
    ... and encourage only utf-8

    addison: nothing about detection, only about the label

    norbert: how did he pick list?

    richard: looked at what browsers support, perhaps?

    <r12a> [22]http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/25

      [22] http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/25

    addison: I would add one comment about charmod ref

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: inform Unicode of the Encoding
    document effort [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-106 - Inform Unicode of the Encoding
    document effort [on Addison Phillips - due 2012-03-28].

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: inform group of need to submit
    comments on encoding document by 4 April [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-107 - Inform group of need to submit
    comments on encoding document by 4 April [on Addison Phillips -
    due 2012-03-28].

    norbert: who should be responsible and publish this document?
    ... can't see as REC??

    addison: this would be good as part of charmod

    richard: IETF might set up a WG

    felix: would it be easier to charter a group?


Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: inform group of need to submit comments
    on encoding document by 4 April [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: inform Unicode of the Encoding document
    effort [recorded in

    [End of minutes]

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)


Received on Wednesday, 21 March 2012 18:47:01 UTC