[minutes] i18n telecon 2012-02-22


  Text version follows:

Internationalization Core Working Group Teleconference

22 Feb 2012



    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2012/02/22-i18n-irc


           Addison, Richard, Andrew, Mati, Felix, John, Koji, Norbert,
           Larry_Masinter, Peter_St._Andre, Mike_Smith

           Addison Phillips

           Addison Phillips


      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Minutes/Agenda
          2. [6]Info Share
          3. [7]IRI Progress
          4. [8]Ruby Discussion
          5. [9]AOB?
      * [10]Summary of Action Items


Info Share

    <stpeter> "the conference is full, no more parties can be added at
    this time"

    addison: mentions the ecmascript unicode proposal

    <r12a> [11]http://rishida.net/blog/?p=831

      [11] http://rishida.net/blog/?p=831

    <r12a> Google added support for the new translate=no feature in
    HTML5 to their online service yesterday afternoon - since Microsoft
    already supported it, that gives good coverage

    <r12a> Google also added support for the translate attribute to

    <fsasaki> yeah!

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: extend number of ports for I18N call to 15
    [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-101 - Extend number of ports for I18N call
    to 15 [on Addison Phillips - due 2012-02-29].

    norbert: thread on ecmascript unicode

    <Norbert> es-discuss discussion thread on full Unicode in



    richard: turning ruby wiki into note format
    ... but not complete yet

IRI Progress

    Larry: one of the core parts of the web is the URI
    ... and these used to be ascii only
    ... and over 20 years have worked on that
    ... the IRI Wg in IETF is revising it
    ... current revision work is about 2 - 2.5 years old
    ... to bring in line with actual implementatin practice
    ... and other needed revisions

    <masinter> [14]http://tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/charters

      [14] http://tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/charters

    <masinter> [15]http://tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/

      [15] http://tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/

    Larry: status now is...
    ... 3987bis is the core spec
    ... and 4395 is the procedure for registering a new scheme
    ... and there was confusion about registration between URI and IRI
    ... so clarify that registration is for both
    ... along the way, to simplify 3987, we split out two parts
    ... one was "comparisons"


      [16] http://tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/draft-ietf-iri-comparison/

    Larry: now a draft of its own


      [17] http://tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/draft-ietf-iri-bidi-guidelines/

    Larry: and the other is bidi guidelines
    ... which we thought required separate review
    ... (link above)
    ... trying to get these things "out of the way"
    ... and think that I18N WG for focused review of these documents, it
    would help greatly
    ... please review our documents, look at open issues

    <masinter> also look at open issues in tracker:

      [18] http://tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/report/1

    Larry: there is an IETF in Paris in late March
    ... want to have revised versions before then
    ... close to last-call worthy documents

    addison: (outlines our cadence)

    peter: submission cutoff is 12 March

    larry: IRI WG session schedules for 30 march

    addison: so all four documents?

    larry: look over comparison document in particular
    ... we have adil allawi offering to contrib to bidi document
    ... comparison hasn't received much attention
    ... look at 3987bis
    ... documents are "very ripe"

    <masinter> please look at open tickets

      [19] http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/report/1

    <masinter> i suggest you look at comparison

    richard: stack rank the docs

    peter: look at 3987bis is first?

    <masinter> [20]http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/ticket/96

      [20] http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/ticket/96

    larry: since we're updating comparison and bidi
    ... and haven't had a lot of focus on comparison
    ... so maybe getting comments there?
    ... and there is a ticket about normalization/canonicalization

    <masinter> comparison ... not because it's most important, but for
    next week

    larry: please look at ticket 96 (link above) when reviewing

    john: prioritization is 3987bis?
    ... and a list of things to focus on in 3987bis?

    larry: all docs need review

    <masinter> [21]http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/report/1

      [21] http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/report/1

    larry: list of issues in the tracker (link above) on various
    ... categorized by document
    ... IRI processing is another "component" in the tracker

    <masinter> and eventually look at bidi once we hear from adil or
    perhaps he needs help

    <Mike5> the s/IRI/URL/ processing draft is at

      [22] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/url/raw-file/default/Overview.html

    addison: will use our tracker to create issues and copy to your
    tracker as we make them "official"

Ruby Discussion

    richard: discuss last week we decided to convert current wiki to a
    ... and then develop "spec" that was focused
    ... and we need support from implementations as we go forward
    ... and get implementation support in browsers to demonstrate
    ... and here is some "spec" text for the editor to use or reference
    ... the "spec" can be developed under HTMLWG or as "note" status
    document in this WG
    ... maybe doesn't make a lot of sense to have HTML5, Ruby annotation
    spec, and this thing
    ... so a "Note" status document is probably sufficient
    ... so can be done here
    ... koji had questions about how to involve implementers
    ... sought advice from Mike

    koji: agree with richard

    richard: also question of editor
    ... koji volunteerd
    ... and Mike will seek helpers

    koji: roland is possibly interested, but needs manager okay
    ... not sure if he has time
    ... doesn't have okay from manager yet

    richard: any suggestions/advice?

    Mike: had some email discussion, but...
    ... over-reliance on Ian to spec stuff out
    ... and if Ian does spec it, it may still not get implement
    ... Ian not in agreement with extending

    addison: (summarizes our status/understanding)
    ... reminder of W3C IP policy

    Mike: need to get a draft done and work espcially with Microsoft
    ... get editor's draft and FPWD soon

    richard: discuss on CJK list and invite HTML folks there?
    ... or establish a task force?
    ... suggest get people to join CJK list?

    Mike: already in HTML-WG charter

    koji: still want to know how we get people involved

    Mike: main person is Adrian Bateman
    ... lots of IE folks, but Adrian is kind of the "go to" person to
    faciliate discussions
    ... will provide contact info

    <r12a> Google, Ryosuke Niwa maybe


    <kojiishi> Maybe takano-san at Apple?

    naoki takano?

    <kojiishi> I found, Takumi Takano

    richard: also FF, etc.
    ... hajime did an add-on to FF

    koji: actually need someone from mozilla

    mike: talk to john daggett
    ... still involved although not doing layout stuff

    richard: talk to chaals for opera

    <Mike5> maybe Naoki Takano <takano@apple.com>

    koji: will try to reach takano-san, someone in google
    ... Mike, can you contact MS and Mozilla?

    Mike: will contact Adrian and cc: richard

    richard: also copy koji and addison


    peter: is there feedback on URL processing from Adam?

    Mike: adam not actively working on URL processing at this time
    ... work with Anne von Kesteren on it
    ... Anne and I will work on that document in the future on it
    ... first thing is examine existing test cases
    ... and figure out difference in performance betwen browsers
    ... also some material from Chris Weber
    ... just need to decide on something, despite diffs in browsers

    peter: we will look to you for answers on test cases

    mike: will start talking in the next couple weeks to Anne

    peter: keep Chris Weber in loop; might have cycles

    mike: will contact in the enxt week

    <Mike5> thanks everybody

    <joconner> thanks addison.

    addison: will send pointers to IRI documents
    ... please review for next week!

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: extend number of ports for I18N call to 15
    [recorded in

    [End of minutes]

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)


Received on Friday, 24 February 2012 15:30:52 UTC