W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-core@w3.org > January to March 2012

[minutes] i18n telecon 2012-01-25

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 19:16:04 +0000
Message-ID: <4F2054F4.8030202@w3.org>
To: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2012/01/25-i18n-minutes.html



Text version below:



Internationalization Core Working Group Teleconference

25 Jan 2012

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2012Jan/0010.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2012/01/25-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, Richard, Gwyneth, Mati, John, Koji, Felix, David

    Regrets
    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Minutes/Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]JLReq v2 Publication Request
          5. [9]CSS Escape Sequences
          6. [10]Ruby Discussion
          7. [11]AOB?
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

Action Items

    close ACTION-80

    <trackbot> ACTION-80 Update the review radar and respond to WGs on
    pending reviews closed

    <r12a> [13]http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

      [13] http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

    <r12a> [14]http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_history

      [14] http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_history

    <r12a> [15]http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Core_Pipeline

      [15] http://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Core_Pipeline

Info Share

    <fsasaki> [16]http://www.w3.org/2011/12/mlw-lt-charter.html

      [16] http://www.w3.org/2011/12/mlw-lt-charter.html

    felix: kickoff of project bring the mlw-lt-charter forward
    ... find metadata for all kinds of language related processing on
    the web
    ... includes things like localization, MT, etc.
    ... influence developers and all kinds of content producers to bring
    content metadata to the web

    <fsasaki> [17]https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/33280/mlw-lt/

      [17] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/33280/mlw-lt/

    felix: please ask AC Reps to join the above group

    richard: name of the WG is...

    <r12a> MultilingualWeb-LT

    felix: Multilingual Web LT
    ... where LT == Language Technologies
    ... ITS Interest Group to be closely associated
    ... I am co-chair and staff contact

    felix: other chairs are Dave Filip, David Filip

    <fsasaki> [18]http://www.cngl.ie/index.html

      [18] http://www.cngl.ie/index.html

    richard: getting closer to the ML Web Workshop
    ... last one organized by the ML Web project
    ... felix's new project may organize similar in the future
    ... registration is quite high
    ... so get registrations in
    ... be aware of it and tell others about it

    <r12a> [19]http://multilingualweb.eu/register

      [19] http://multilingualweb.eu/register

    <scribe> chair: welcome new member: John O'Conner from Adobe

    john: adobe just joined the WG and asked me to represent them
    ... been involved for 16-17 years
    ... interested in web services and technologies

    richard: hixie has proposed addition of @translate to HTML5
    ... as a global attribute

JLReq v2 Publication Request

    [20]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2012Jan/00
    08.html

      [20] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2012Jan/0008.html

    richard: may be a little early
    ... but they think they're done with the content
    ... next step is for me to edit their English
    ... they are publishing a paper version in Japanese in Japan
    ... and the date for that is 10 April
    ... so they want to release W3C Note document about the same time
    ... perhaps a week earlier
    ... we need to approve as a working group for it to go forward

CSS Escape Sequences

    [21]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2012Jan/00
    07.html

      [21] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2012Jan/0007.html

    I18N-ISSUE-147

    <r12a>
    [22]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Jan/0536.html

      [22] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Jan/0536.html

    [23]https://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/147

      [23] https://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/147

    richard: some browsers implement escapes in CSS incorrectly
    ... and you have to enter UTF-16 surrogate pairs to get a
    supplementary character
    ... and it's not supposed to work that way - and it creates a
    usability issue for authors; charmod frowns upon it

    addison: goodness gracious!!

    richard: call on the mustard in CharMod

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: write to CSS style list strongly opposing
    surrogate pair escapes in CSS and citing CharMod [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2012/01/25-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-91 - Write to CSS style list strongly
    opposing surrogate pair escapes in CSS and citing CharMod [on
    Addison Phillips - due 2012-02-01].

Ruby Discussion

    koji: I see a few threads running in parallel
    ... Ian doesn't believe double-sided ruby is common enough
    ... so I gathered some example

    addison: waiting for statistics to share

    koji: another thread is about fallback
    ... supporting idea of <rb><rb><rt><rt> sequence

    addison: concerned about the word-by-word thread

    koji: fallback issue
    ... similarity to letter-by-letter example because
    ... we want to join words when we do fallback

    richard: eric made some comments along those lines
    ... assumed that if you wanted to find word boundaries, as in jukugo
    ... then use mutliple ruby elements

    <ruby> <rb>tokyo</rb><rt>tok</rt><rt>yo</rt></ruby>

    <r12a> <ruby><rb>tok</rb><rb>yo</rb><rt>tok</rt><rt>yo</rt></ruby>

    <r12a> [25]http://rishida.net/blog/?p=469

      [25] http://rishida.net/blog/?p=469

    [26]http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/#en-subheading2_3

      [26] http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/#en-subheading2_3

    richard: think mono ruby and jukugo ruby use same markup
    ... and group ruby is different
    ... jukugo looks sometimes *like* group ruby

    koji: changing markup to build group ruby is a hack until we have
    css-ruby spec
    ... when text is unbreakable, then using group ruby markup is okay
    ... but when text is breakable, but can style as group
    ... so change markup
    ... if text can break, markup should always indicate where breaks
    are
    ... and then can style as breaking or non-breaking

    richard: don't have to change markup, just style with no-break

    koji: might need one more style then

    richard: marked up as mono ruby, but want to behave as group ruby
    ... without markup change
    ... want it to behave and look like group ruby
    ... so if six base characters and four hiragana character
    ... you want the four distributed evenly across

    <matial> sorry, have to leave now

    richard: 11 february date
    ... reading threads, it's very complicated
    ... and really need something very simple to summarize
    ... and would like additional approaches and pros/cons in short
    simple prose to add to wiki
    ... another question arising from the email thread is do we need
    <rb> mandatory or optional
    ... may be a case, as in A12Y, for rb in simple ruby since voice
    browsers need to work with every type of markup
    ... IE doesn't do a lot of the newer elements except via the shiv,
    and rb could be added to the shiv just like we recently added bdi

    <joconner> must drop off the phone now but will remain on IRC

    richard: does (someone) have more time to go through the pile of
    emails and pull out key points to add to wiki? (Koji agreed to help
    with that)

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: write to CSS style list strongly opposing
    surrogate pair escapes in CSS and citing CharMod [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2012/01/25-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    [End of minutes]






-- 
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/
Received on Wednesday, 25 January 2012 19:16:48 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:23:08 UTC