Re: I18N-ISSUE-7: Paragraphs and inline content [WOFF]

Hello,

Richard Ishida wrote:
>Presumably, text in elements such as description and license can
>contain free flowing text organized into paragraphs. No markup is
>proposed for paragraph support; however nor is it clear from the spec
>that whitespace needs to be preserved for such content.

> We would recommend that some minimal markup be provided for
> paragraphs and that this be supplemented with a span element.

This was discussed by the WebFonts WG and we agree. We have seen
examples where the content of an element appeared to contain plain
text formatting; this may have been due to copy and pasting of
sections of an original plain text 'readme' or license.txt' into the
relevant XML markup.

We have therefore resolved to add one block and one inline element
,which for the convenience of authors and following HTML precedent we
will call 'div' and 'span' respectively.

The content model is as follows:

'vendor', 'credit', 'description', 'license', 'copyright', 'licensee',
'text', 'name' and 'item' have a mixed content model of text content,
'div' and 'span' elements.

'div' elements have a mixed content model of text content, 'div' and
'span' elements.

'span' elements have a mixed content model of text content and 'span'
elements.

In other words, div can contain other div elements, span can contain
other span elements, span does not require a containing div.

Here is a real-world example, modified from a portion of the XML file for Gentium Plus
file:///D:/WWW/dev/webfonts/WOFF/spec/metadata/GentiumPlus-WOFF-metadata.xml
which, when viewed as plain text, has paragraph formatting.

original:

<description>
 <text lang="en">
   Gentium ("belonging to the nations" in Latin) is a Unicode typeface family
   designed to enable the many diverse ethnic groups around the world who use
   the Latin, Cyrillic and Greek scripts to produce readable, high-quality
   publications. The design is intended to be highly readable, reasonably
   compact, and visually attractive. Gentium has won a "Certificate of Excellence
   in Typeface Design" in two major international typeface design competitions:
   bukva:raz! (2001), TDC2003 (2003).

   The Gentium Plus font family is based on the original design. It currently
   comes with regular and italic face only, although additional weights are in
   develoment.

   The goal for this product is to provide a single Unicode-based font family
   that contains a comprehensive inventory of glyphs needed for almost any
   Roman- or Cyrillic-based writing system, whether used for phonetic or
   orthographic needs, and provide a matching Greek face. In addition, there
   is provision for other characters and symbols useful to linguists. This
   font makes use of state-of-the-art font technologies to support complex
   typographic issues, such as the need to position arbitrary combinations
   of base glyphs and diacritics optimally.

   (and so on)
 </text>
</description>

original:

<description>
 <text lang="en">
   typeface family designed to enable the many diverse ethnic groups
   around the world who use the Latin, Cyrillic and Greek scripts to
   produce readable, high-quality publications. The design is intended
   to be highly readable, reasonably compact, and visually attractive.
   Gentium has won a <span>"Certificate of Excellence in Typeface
   Design"</span> in two major international typeface design
   (2003)</span>.
   It currently comes with regular and italic face only, although
   additional weights are in develoment. </div>
   font family that contains a comprehensive inventory of glyphs
   needed for almost any Roman- or Cyrillic-based writing system,
   whether used for phonetic or orthographic needs, and provide a
   matching Greek face. In addition, there is provision for other
   characters and symbols useful to linguists. This font makes use of
   state-of-the-art font technologies to support complex typographic
   issues, such as the need to position arbitrary combinations of base
   glyphs and diacritics optimally. </div>

   (and so on)
 </text>
</description>

I believe that the issue of attributes was a separate I18N comment,and
that in response we had agreed to add @dir and @xml:lang.   I also
propose adding @class.

We wil update the editors draft to document these two new elements,
add examples, and update the RelaxNG schema.

The issue of clearly indicating the content model of elements was the
subject of a separate last call comment,so the resolution there will
apply here also.

Please let us know if this resolution responds to your comment.

This relates to I18N-ISSUE-7: Paragraphs and inline content [WOFF]
and
WOFF-ACTION-61: Provide samples and respond to I18n

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG