RE: i18n-ISSUE-2 (r12a): Why not using xml:lang? [WOFF]

Just to add a little more detail behind why I ask the question...

xml:lang is part of XML itself, and the way the XML spec recommends to indicate language in XML.  (Note that it does not involve name space definitions.)

One reason this is important is that XSLT has built-in functions that look for xml:lang to identify language information, and other XML processing tools also expect to find xml:lang for locating language info in XML.

In addition, the inheritance behaviour of xml:lang is clearly defined in the XML spec in a way that is not the case for an arbitrary attribute.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-lang-tag

Hope that helps,
RI

Richard Ishida