RE: Question on text search

(chair hat on)

Hi, I've added this to our agenda to discuss.

(personal response)

Full text search is a somewhat complex topic and varies by language. The preprocessing of the indexed data and search terms involves processes such as "stemming" (finding the base word, such as converting "dogs" to "dog" or "running" to "run"), normalization, and so forth. There are open source libraries (cf. Lucene [1]) that provide specific processing for various languages. There are also choices to be made with regard to how this is implemented or tuned for each individual language. What is a valid strategy for one language may not be applicable to another language or culture. So it may not be easy to fully specify the right behavior here.

(restores chair hat to head)

Looking at the Contacts API draft quickly I notice many interesting internationalization issues that may not be fully addressed (handling of personal names; handling of postal addresses; enumerated types which need to consider the needs of other cultures; etc.)

Would it be appropriate for us to review this work now?

Addison

[1] http://lucene.apache.org/

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect (Lab126)