Re: I18N feedback on Issue-88

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 2:21 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> On 05/19/2010 02:06 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>>
>> "Addison Phillips"<addison@lab126.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> - HTML should (continue to) strongly recommend the presence of @lang
>>> (and warn in validators if it is not present)
>>
>> If validators did that, there'd be even more templates, etc., filling in a
>> placeholder value that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the
>> actual content.
>
> In that case, I would suggest following Leif's suggestion and only
> posting a warning about a missing lang="" if the Content-Language
> HTTP header or <meta http-equiv> pragma is present. This is more
> likely to catch authors who are trying to specify the language but
> doing so wrongly, and avoid the authors who don't care.

Wouldn't you get the same effect by warning every time the <meta
http-equiv> pragma is present? At least if such a warning includes
language to recommend that @lang is a better solution. IMHO validators
should always include recommendation of what the "new correct way" is
whenever warning about deprecated features.

/ Jonas