RE: ISSUE-88 content-language: informal consensus check

Richard Ishida, Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:47:50 +0100:
  [...]
> I expect it to be *much* easier to explain to content authors: You set the
> language of the content using the language attribute. Oh and btw if for some
> reason you fail to do this, the browser may go look at *other* information,
> ie. the metadata in the http header, to see if it can guess at a language.

I expect it to be confusing that it suddenly is no danger if fallback
language kicks in from server, whereas there is a big danger if it
kicks in from http-equiv. The pedagogical way would be to treat both
issues as equally problematic.

The simple way to explain Content-Language vs @lang to content authors
is already present today: Emphasize that the semantics of
Content-Language differ from those of @lang, *regardless* of whether it
comes from pragma or from HTTP.  Since they are different, there is
*therefore* no guarantee that Content-Language was used with the
purpose of setting the language. And *therefore* the validator should
warn. But it should only warn whenever the fallback effect kicks in.
And it should warn *also* when the fallback kicks in from the server.

Validation example:

1. If root element lacks @lang attribute
      - validator checks the pragma
2. If pragma contains single value
	  - validator emits a fallback language warning
   If pragma contains multiple values
	  - then proceed to HTTP header if any
3. If HTTP header contains single value
	  - validator emits a fallback language warning
   If HTTP header contains multiple values
      - nothing happens.

This is what my change proposal now says.

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ContentLanguages

Leif H Silli